Tuesday 29 June 2010

Fieldwork on Photo

June has become one of the busiest months of the year. Fieldwork on each weekend has lead to more research in the week. It's only going to get busier. However, amongst the needs of collecting water samples for my 'Hydrological Pollution in the Peak District' dissertation and running lab tests for nutrients and metals, I did manage to get some good photos on the classic upland landscape. Unfortunately, there on a roll of 35mm film still, so for now, I will have to make do with the digital ones I have from the actual fieldwork collection and not my attempt to photograph the impossible landscape as the sun laid in to the hills from behind me mid morning. Looking at these I hope the manual setting on the manual aren't nearly as over exposed as these.

Upper North Grain, River Sett and Bretton Clough are all interesting in there own way. Upper North Grain is quite bleak. Open moorland sits on top of the hillside, the peat drains the landscape and pollution rains frequently from the surrounding cities of Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds and Bradford.

Upper North Grain back out to the A57 (Snake Pass)
River Sett on the other hand is way more beautiful, slightly touristy for the campers but none the less couldn't look better if it tried at the moment. The ultimate photo however would require dangling precariously from a tree with the camera attached to a pole to photo a river coming down a hill in a gull, sided by small shrubs and unfortunately in the 100m length drops about 5 metres, how I will get it I don't know yet, attempts so far have failed. (In case my supervisor finds me, I did not break H&S I promise.)

River Sett

Bretton Clough is typically farmland surrounded by plantations and sits deep in a valley. It's just a bit too much like farmland. Also the sheep and horses are way too interested in my field bag. Being accosted by them was never really my intention. The sky was a lot more blue, however, it was really bright and hard to get the camera settings set, oh well.

Bretton CloughIf only that fern was at ankle height. That stuffs 2ft high in most places and grown beyond anything I expected in a week. These almost make the North Downs not look as good, but then again the Surrey hillside cannot be beaten.

No comments:

Post a Comment