Thursday 13 January 2011

Destiny (for Writers Island)


Well it's been a little while since I said to myself I'll write a Happy New Year entry, to myself. In the end I find we are now half way into the month already. Just 50 more weeks until 2012 - boo, wow. Oh dear.

Having spotted Destiny on Writer's Island, I thought, what is my destiny? The reason being it was my birthday this week, and so what does life entail for me. Am I grabbing it by the wings hard enough, probably not. Am I doing what I can in order to grab it by the wings, beginning too.

Whatever my destiny is, some higher power seems to have decided what I'm here for, but I have no clue what triumph I am expected to find in the future, so I have looked back on my successes of the last 10 years. In that time so much has happened, and yet in many ways so little.

From learning to play a musical instrument, knowing enough to pick it up again and not feel the pains as was back some eight years ago when I stopped. I've completed stacks of academic learning, school, undergraduate and postgraduate education. Whilst lacking, the spirit lives on to cycle, and I've ridden for two BHF cycle rides, travelled parts of Europe for music bands and done fieldwork across the UK, France and Malta. I've found so many friends and families, I've met lots of people. And because I'm good with faces (not so much names, sorry) I can place people. (However big the world can feel at times). I am grateful for some of mum's traits too, the ability to talk to anyone on nearly any subject, - much tougher these days for one reason or another- still shy occasionally or feeling too ill or too much on my mind, and abilities to pick up completely random topics, to help a wide range of people. But destiny see, had it's say, and Mum didn't get to see the last nine years of these accomplishments. Well, you never know, the powers that be maybe around, looking down from the sky and watching us.

So many events, and so many memories, from one decade to the next, what will it bring? Having completed a 1/4 to 2/5 of my life, on the national average scale. I better get a grip and start making this decade count just as much as the last one did. Even with the ups and downs, it's already been a journey. The first two and a bit decades are chapters closed although post scripts come along every so often, so let's start living and making the next bit worthwhile.

Tell me, Destiny, where are we going to go today?

2 comments:

  1. A fascinating self-examination. At your age, I don't think I ever looked inside myself - and not much more at 73!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Vivinfrance. I have a habit of asking why I am here, why we are all here also follows suit. I get to debate on moral, ethical and social repsonibilities every so often too. Sometimes I shouldn't look inside, hard questions develop. None the less, it's always worth a go, pausing to reflect and then move forward as best as possible.

    ReplyDelete