Wednesday 1 June 2011

Gott weiss ich will kein Engel sein

(God know's I wouldn't want to be an Angel)
Rammstein Lyrics: Engel

Michael Maier

"The last thing I expected to find was you on the beach front. I've spent ages, literally years walking this earth wondering 'where are you and who are you'"

...your the one who always pops up unwittingly to whisper in my ear that something awaits my final destination, oh is this, is this, have I finally arrived...


"tell me you're for real. Why do you stand with you back to me, I've seen you before, no need to hide. Play, let me listen..."

"No, I don't want to play, this is where I get my peace and quiet, where the world talks back to me, I need to heal too", she says remaining firmly placed on the sand sinking in further. "We rest, the cello, rests, I rest so you see the sea refreshes me."

"Do you want me to go?"
"Just don't come too close, like you I need time off, a person with a gift, a guide to make all of it worthwhile. This is no job for the faint hearted, it's all giving, can you give your whole time without receiving anything in return except for seeing your charges continue to fail. Were not perfect either, that's why I'm here."

I'll just, just sit here and...wait, with you" I said, sheepishly trailing off. Your so happy following around, looking after your charges...why the pain...I wish I could just hold you, make you feel better, it's been too long since our last duet, was it never enough or too much, you haven't lost just need more time...it's very peaceful here...the clouds...the clouds are moving fast, too fast for us, time is washing away like the stones are dragged out to sea, we should go in.
"Yes we should go in, but this is not only the end of the line for you, but for me too, after this I may not have any more charges, you're my last, I've not kept to my good past enough. (Pausing) Come here, just watch and listen. You couldn't begin to imagine the reasons...I'll be a fallen Angel soon, maybe I should just stay here with you."

"We can't go on living in a dream, I'm getting old too."
"Quite, I'm not, well I'm older but I'm the same as when we first met...times past, the clouds we'll keep us company with music from the ocean. Then when I'm clipped I'll play the cello for my own self, look the clouds, they are softening up, it's time, they're going to sleep...I won't be going back".

And with a feigned smile of it'll be alright, they stood and watched.

"They live behind the sunshine
separated from us, infinitely far
they must cling to the stars (very tightly)
so they don't fall from the sky."

"Only once the clouds have gone to sleep can you see us in the sky
we are afraid and alone."

Rammstein Engel - Scala and Kolacny Brothers version

For Writer's Island 2011, No.22.

No comments:

Post a Comment