Sunday 2 October 2011

Music and Words: Musically Repetitive

When I mentioned I'd be doing Repetitive Music stuff, I didn't realise just how annoying it was going to be. (More fool me, I knew it was going to be annoying when I started out) I may not actually link you to anything for even the first then again, if you don't here it then I can't make you forever remember dreading it.

I'm sure somewhere someone likes this, because for what I can tell they've become relatively successful person and the music is being used in adverts even if it's been remixed by ANR. So whose seen the BT Ads? This track might help Rachel Goodrich Light Bulb (ANR)
Now forgive me, because whilst it's actually quietly catchy, I decided to hunt down the original, well I think it's the original, appears somebody decided to make a competition for best video. Whole other story, ja. Now do you see what I mean, it's one of those pieces of music which glues to your head, making you wish you never heard it, everytime you here it you'll either remember the exact thing it relates too or the place you were, erh...nothing worse.


Claire Maguire: Ain't Nobody

Without being too contrived "here is my escape". Well that's what she says. Thankfully rest assured that big boot is coming down to the ground to relinquish us and let our hair down.
Something much more emotional is going on here, I found two if not three worlds coliding in one when I saw this. Photograph similarities to other band videos (see the black sails in Pink Floyd's High Hopes), illusions of still shots with surreal to scary plausabilities just lingering on the chair and the "Anonymous" looking guy stood over a dark mountain range. Still, the heart felt urge to go out and join her in the middle of nowhere reigns on



with a wonderful flash of lightning through the clip.







But of course the underlying factor being the Breakage version is just a pain in you head, thump de thump de thump thump. Acting like you want a headache, you will have a headache from this one.

Although in fairness, Faithless Insomnia could be seen like that too - I'm sure I saw a german film once with this track used in it, because all I ever remember from that movie is this weird drug fuelled party, strobe lighting, fluorescent shafts, dark corners and drunken people. Well that's at least what springs to mind,
"I can't get no sleep." (I'm not surprised.)

Now you might wonder how I jump to Paula Seling for this, she was on Eurovision a couple of years back and whilst she didn't win, it was a good piece. Lena won it for Germany that year with Satellite but Paula stayed in mind far longer with Playing With Fire. Satellite is both annoying and enjoyable because it's upbeat but so is Playing with Fire until you find Paula and Ovi added some harmonies and more real instrumental pieces with the Piano making it better. For todays music is so electronically created.

So I'll leave you with Musically distracting, musically emotional and realistic to the human ear. We should all be wanting music that's not so glued to the mainstream, lead by our noses, even if the synthesier sounds are better than they were years ago.
I Feel Free Paula Seling, certainly a good mix of everything we've touched on today. Let the sun go down and the last of the days heat lift, BBQ smells in the background and friends all around with the possibibities of the future opening up around you as you stand up high, viewing the beautiful scenery for miles around - even if it's in the city.


Everyone has a piece of music which takes them straight back to a moment they had. Make it an enjoyable one.

No comments:

Post a Comment