Tuesday 17 August 2010

Where am I going, exactly :-S (2)

As I was saying before, I feel like I may have lost the plot somewhere.

In good heart and kindness I point you to the article here by Rebecca Bush (12/12/2008):
Just A Thought: The Prince of Darkness or How I've Spent The Last Three Months

This article along with some of the things written by Kristie in recent weeks have certainly stirred the water a bit. Knowing there are people in similar positions or writing stories and poems of the issues I struggle to convey to you makes it seem a lot better.

Unfortunately, this leaves me with a dilemma:
1. I have certainly become a very boring person of late, and I will only become more boring as I struggle to find work and start my own life.
2. I find my feelings through connections made over the internet more and more.
3a. I know this is not right, connections made through the internet are not necessarily as strong as those found by actual contact with a real person. Technology has taken over. I don't like it, but I have to live with it, I have to move with society or be forced to completely disappear and full behind.
3b. This is made worst by the fact I leave you with this evidence via the perils of late night BBC World Service

American Professor Nancy Baym says that at times of rapid technological change, questions such as what counts as authentic human connections (sic) are called into question. She explains that in discussing how these new forms of digital communication media affect the relationships that we have with each other, we are actually having age old discussions about human connections. The Forum (15/08/2010)

Illustration by Graeme Davis

I can't even gather well developed evidence, its from scientists in discussion on a radio program, which due to the way the BBC works will expire in five days and the evidence will be gone.

It's all so plain, its become another shade of grey. I feel like science is just gathering information in order to make more information without actually doing anything about it, it's not helping, academia lives one lifestyle and the world of work is living another, neither are talking to each other, evidence is potentially being duplicated and research is just being done for the hell of it.
Paris (2008) shows an interesting perspective of this as one of its themes shows a lost lecturer wanting to find a new route in life.

I suddenly feel the cold coming in, for some reason it reminds me of a period just before Christmas 2009, I was listening to Sting's If on A Winter's Night, the hollowness, dreary, cold...lack of soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment